Tuesday, July 29, 2008


Finally.. A Tully-Fisher relation of our simulated galaxies for everyone to use and love. This one stars the following halos, in no particular order: h516, h579, h590, h986, h204, h285, h258, h277, and h239. As you can see, we match it pretty well!

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Nice first post! Could you tell me the details of how you calculated that? I presume those are Sunrise magnitudes and that the velocities come from your HI code. For that matter, would mind hosting a Bootcamp on the HI code and submitting it to the idl4tipsy repository?

Adrienne said...

The details are as follows:

The magnitudes are indeed Sunrise. Chris got them for me. They are, as I said and contrary to popular belief, SDSS i band. Even though it's a capitol I!

For W20, I used the HI code I wrote for Tipsy to make a data cube of the galaxies viewed edge-on (or as edge-on as I could get them). This means that there's no sin i correction because that will introduce more error. Something to check later. Anyway, I used my IDL code to make the line profile, which then calculates W20/2.


At some point I will write up a big manual for how to do this. This means that I have to make my code organizable.... :)

Adrienne said...

Oh and one more thing.. the plot is from Geha et al. (2006). The points were initially color-coded with references, but they made it very cluttered and also made our galaxies harder to see, so I greyed them out.

Fabio Governato said...

Attagirl!

Adrienne said...

The one to the left of the TF at a magnitude of around -22.5 is h986.

Fabio Governato said...

and we have a few more to add! Will add them after Alyson defends.
I am in the process of measuring Vrot of the gas and the young stars for some of them.